GETTIN' DIRTY IN THE 'VILLE

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist    Merchandise  Local Junkyards  Local Offroad Parks  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
CHECK OUT OUR NEW ONLINE STORE UNDER THE "MERCHANDISE" LINK AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!
Like us on Facebook!

Add to Favorites

Latest topics
» Any one on here ?
8th March 2015, 4:57 pm by Jason y

» Trail Rated lol
11th November 2013, 2:40 am by Legg

11th November 2013, 2:34 am by Legg

» 38.5x15x15 bogger 200.00
13th July 2013, 11:07 am by 72Blazerracer

» Slower-poke Build. 98 ZJ 5.9 Limited
2nd July 2013, 3:01 pm by gs69350

» FREE T-SHIRT
15th April 2013, 1:07 pm by gs69350

» My Solid Axle Swap build
7th April 2013, 8:18 pm by fishforlife2007

» stripping an xj lol
7th April 2013, 8:04 pm by fishforlife2007

» LJOC's Guns N Jeeps Meet
7th April 2013, 3:22 pm by ZJ_flexxxer

» Black Betty, my 95 YJ Build thread
2nd April 2013, 9:48 pm by ZJ_flexxxer

Top posting users this month
Your ad here!

Share | 

The money pits, (yes, plural!)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
blackjack12982

PostSubject: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   27th December 2012, 9:55 pm

I thought I'd post up the progress on the Jeeps, maybe it'll keep me motivated to actually get my butt in gear to finish them...

I bought the 94 ZJ after I returned from deployment in Iraq in February 2009'ish. It's a 5.2L, NP249, w/ LP30 & D35. I bought it initially with zero intentions of modifying it, just wanted something w/ 4WD in case I PCS'd somewhere with terrible weather. rofl

I had it approximately 2-3 months before the transmission completely died. Being that it was my DD, and me living in an apartment with an anal landlord, me swapping the tranny myself was out of the question. I asked around, and people led me to what was believed to be a reputable shop offpost to do the work. 2 months, 3 rebuilt Jasper transmissions, a lot of calls cursing at the owner of the shop, and I had my cursed ZJ back available to drive again.

While the ZJ was in the shop, I was bitten by the bug again, and decided to mod it when I got it back. I picked up a 2" BB, and went to town. No action shots of installing the BB, but we all know what that looks like. This is BB installed, and stock tires.

I scoured CL far and wide, and found a set of 31" MT tires for $150. cheers

Yes, the rear is sagging. That's with the HP30 in the back I scored an HP30 from a fellow Jeeper who was parting an XJ, to replace my LP30 that decided that the amount of gear lube that was in it just wasn't enough. After purchasing the ZJ, I did a basic tuneup, and did not think about servicing the diff's. The PO apparently didn't either. The front diff had no gear lube in it. So I rounded up the Jeep crew and we installed an HP30, and regeared it to 3.73. 2-3 cases of beer later, and I had 4WD again. To celebrate we went wheeling at Land Between the Lakes (LBL).

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2, 46RH, HP30 swapped in and regeared to 3.73, NP231 swapped in, ~5.5" with 35" KM2's...

All that shit to impress the chicks at the mall flipoff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   27th December 2012, 9:56 pm

Later on that summer after alot of teasing by my Wrangler buddies we decided that I needed more T-case shifter options. Out with the old 249, and in with a spare 231 that cost me a 24 pack of Bud Light. 2WD!! cheers

After another wheeling trip to LBL, I witnessed another ZJ crush his rockers coming down on a rock, so it was time for sliders. Here they are installed-

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2, 46RH, HP30 swapped in and regeared to 3.73, NP231 swapped in, ~5.5" with 35" KM2's...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   27th December 2012, 9:57 pm

Being deployed again only increased the urge to mod the Jeep, and also provided the extra cash flow to purchase them instead of only dreaming about them! thumbs up

Holy Hella's-

F>R'ish lift setup (Clayton's XJ 4.5" coils, F&R TB's, LCA's, Front UCA's, JKS Quicker Disco's, 0.75" BB, and Skycrapper shocks)-

Not pictured, but also bought was a Mopar Performance PCM, DC fan controller to eliminate the on/off switch it was controlled by, K&N FIPK, Novak T-case shifter linkage, spare D30 shafts, and 2 gallons of Monstaliner.

As soon as I returned, it was game on installing all the goodies that had piled up while I was gone. I ripped out all the carpet/seats/console and rolled on the Monstaliner.

I'm pretty happy with it so far, it's definitely tedious doing all the prep work, but if you're considering it, do it!

I took this

and did this-

I replaced the belt that my wife said had been squealing, but she'd done absolutely nothing with for the last 4 months...that led to this being deleted-

As soon as block leave started at the beginning of March, my buddy and I began making plans to finally bring back the CJ2A that I had inherited from my grandfather.

This is it's new resting place, ready for the needed fixes.

It needs all new brakes, as it has absolutely none at all. I've also ordered a rebuild kit for the carb, new fuel lines, radiator hoses, and a thermostat. Hopefully it'll be back on the road within a month or so, and then the ZJ will take it's rightful place emptying my wallet.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   27th December 2012, 9:58 pm

All day yesterday, and most of today I spent in the Auto Skills Center onpost, installing the new lift. I kept the 2" BB, and did a F>R swap. Also thrown on were F&R adj TB's, RE Superflex UCA's, RE Superride LCA's, JKS Quicker Disco's, and a set of Skycrapper shocks. This stuff plus the healthy dose of fender trimming that went on earlier, will fit the set of 35" Buckshot Mudders. Tomorrow, the tires will be mounted and put on.

How it looked last night-

Approximately 5.5" and 31's-

The clearance-

Front shot-

The finished product will be posted tomorrow.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   27th December 2012, 9:58 pm

This is with the 35" Buckshot Mudders put on.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   27th December 2012, 9:59 pm

Finally stopped waiting for the "Novak shifter linkage fairy" to install it on my heap, and did it myself. Everyday I would wake up and just hope for it to be done, and everyday I would be disappointed. Now I don't have to lay on my back and manually shift the T-case into 4LO when someone calls me stuck.

Also, the UPS man dropped these off at my door! I ordered them yesterday morning from Discount Tire Direct. The 4th tire for some reason will be delivered on Monday. 35x12.50r15 KM2's!

He also dropped off the 4' Firestik I had ordered awhile ago so I can finish the CB install for Harlan.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   27th December 2012, 9:59 pm

I had been waiting for my steering from Kolak to show up before I mounted up the new tires, but I found out the other day I was going to be spending the next 3 weeks in school with very little free time off, so they got installed.

Turns out the KM2's were alot bigger than the worn out Maxxis Buckshot Mudders, so the sawzall made an appearance again. That and a BFH made the KM2's fit perfectly.

I mounted up the Firestik, and am just waiting to use my friend's SWR meter to finish the CB install. The CB is going to be right around my left knee just inside the door. Also, I got a package from Crawlerready.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   27th December 2012, 10:00 pm

The past 2 weekends were spent really attempting to work out the kinks on the ZJ in anticipation for wheeling at LBL this weekend. Unfortunately fate decided to give me the finger, and the wheeling trip won't happen for me until the end of the month.

2 weekends ago we put in the new Crawlerready motor mounts, a new OEM tranny mount, and rewired the Taurus fan.

Crawlerready motor mounts installed-

I wish I had taken pic's of the OEM motor mounts, both sides were completely separated. :eek:

Last weekend I got a couple of helpers to assist with the new steering and balljoints. I've never done balljoints, and my assistants had done them just a few weeks earlier, this definitely shortened the learning curve. The steering is just a setup I got from Kolak, stock V8 steering, bigger RE tierod, and new TRE's. Balljoints I had bought shortly after purchasing the HP30, but never installed. They're cheapo Rockauto.com imports, come wintertime the HP30 is coming out to be regeared and rebuilt. Hopefully by the the new Poly Performance balljoints will be shipping.

Unbeknownst to me, I decided to paint my steering "Volunteer Orange" to the absolute delight of my wife, I hate the Vols!

New BJ's Very Happy

Got those done very quickly and then decided to do u-joints on the front DS. We got it pulled apart and started putting it back together, but got stalled at the CV joint in the double cardan. Long story short, called a buddy who owns an offroad shop who had a spare front DS for this weekend.

Partly making up for the absolute disappointment of not be able to celebrate America by wheeling, I got my steering box brace from Neil (FortCollinsZJ). Very nice product, and less than half of what Kevin's wanted for the same product.

Installed

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   27th December 2012, 10:08 pm

Since installing the 35's last spring, not too much has happened, other than thinking the motor was gone, debating selling it, coming to an agreed upon price for sale, and then pulling out at the last minute.

This weekend I go to pick up the the junkyard D44a that'll be gone through with 4.56 gears, new bearings, and hopefully a Spartan locker if I can somehow manage to sneak that purchase in without my wife finding out about it. When I install the rear axle I plan on actually getting around to installing the adjustable UCA's for the rear, since I'm still rocking the stock arms. As well, if I have time, I'd like to install the adjustable front LCA's. I'm getting way too much rubbing on the front tires when turning with the 2" wheel spacers I'm running. Also another small project is installing a power steering cooler, I picked up a tranny cooler off of another ZJ, I figure I'll plumb that in to the power steering lines, and hopefully eek some more life out of my PS box.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   27th December 2012, 11:43 pm

loving the build thread man. wished i had some of those motor mounts for mine lol. i'd never heard of anyone adding a PS cooler either...interesting scratch

blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   28th December 2012, 7:20 am

ZJ_flexxxer wrote:
loving the build thread man. wished i had some of those motor mounts for mine lol. i'd never heard of anyone adding a PS cooler either...interesting scratch

It allows you to have more capacity for PS fluids and keeps it cooler. I've noticed on the hot, summer days, that my steering will decline when my engine temps get up. I'd heard about them, and then when I was walking through the JY it was just sitting in the engine bay from someone removing the radiator. Must've been fate.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   28th December 2012, 7:25 am

Check the Crawlerready webpage every so often, they have "Blems", that's what these were. They were $49 or $59.

*edit* Now I see Tyler doesn't have a webpage up, I have no idea unless messaging him would work.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   28th December 2012, 1:07 pm

blackjack12982 wrote:
Check the Crawlerready webpage every so often, they have "Blems", that's what these were. They were $49 or $59.

*edit* Now I see Tyler doesn't have a webpage up, I have no idea unless messaging him would work.

tried to look at his site a while back for something and didn't have any luck.

blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   29th December 2012, 11:43 am

ZJ_flexxxer wrote:
blackjack12982 wrote:

tried to look at his site a while back for something and didn't have any luck.

He's on Facebook, if you're not friend's with him, I am, I could ask him if he's still making them. LMK...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   9th February 2013, 11:16 pm

4.56 gears for the 44a are on the way. I found a set with 30 miles on them, and they look good. Looks like I'm gonna be joining Daniel in the 2WD club. Now if a locker for this axle could just appear, I'd be set!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs69350

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   11th February 2013, 9:06 pm

Get a trak-lok carrier and be done with it. May be cheaper and easier to find. hasn't let my gimp ZJ down
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   12th February 2013, 7:19 am

Nahhh, if I'm going to the trouble of regearing it, I wanna know it's done right. Besides I'm a finalist for Ian Johnson's Driveway Rescue on Powerblock TV. I'm still hoping he'll come out, and my rig will be on TV. They wanted to film on Ft Knox, but don't know if they'll let them.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs69350

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   12th February 2013, 7:30 pm

Lol, dude needed help putting in an SYE... Take away his man-card.
Diff setup is a different story...
Would be cool if you make it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   12th February 2013, 8:03 pm

gs69350 wrote:
Lol, dude needed help putting in an SYE... Take away his man-card.
Diff setup is a different story...
Would be cool if you make it.

Yeah, he didn't seem like the type to get dirty and lend a hand.

Last time I talked to him, he said I was on the shortlist, they just needed to get permission to film on post. I talked with the people that control that sort of thing, and they indicated to me that it wouldn't be a problem at all, but I haven't heard from Ian in a month or so, so I don't know if I'm in or out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs69350

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   12th February 2013, 8:03 pm

Lol, maybe he wants to come and swap my front axle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   12th February 2013, 8:08 pm

APPLY!!! He considered me. The qualifications were: be less than a day's drive, have a relatively simple project, and have somewhere to film. Seems like a project to me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   24th February 2013, 5:49 pm

4.56's are here, now I'm just waiting on a 44a rebuild kit to drop from the sky. Jeep spending has come to a slow crawl now that we're buying a house. I'm gonna POR-15 the axle next weekend, as long as it's not too cold.

Went wheeling last weekend with some guys from K&I at the "Proving Grounds". No pics, I was too busy driving, I did get this video of a TJ we were wheeling with.

This weekend we met up with some local military guys at the US Cavalry store here, just hung out, and BS'd alot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d4cg30b4Wk

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gs69350

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   25th February 2013, 10:07 pm

Looks like a good time Smile

I *almost* went wheeling on Sunday but wasn't liking the big drop off and mud.
Glad I didn't go, my trackbar was loose, would've been real bad after a wheeling beating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
blackjack12982

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   25th February 2013, 10:29 pm

I hear you on the mud. It was slick as crap when we went last weekend, and on the rocks, I definitely had visions of my D35 giving up the ghost while wheeling. But, it made it through another thrashing, knock on wood, but it looks like it might hold up to the 35's. I've got enough money to order the master install kit to go with the bearings, so soon I'm not gonna have an excuse to not have the 44 swapped in.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The money pits, (yes, plural!)   

Back to top Go down

The money pits, (yes, plural!)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
502OFFROAD.COM :: Technical :: Build Threads-
Jump to: