GETTIN' DIRTY IN THE 'VILLE

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist    Merchandise  Local Junkyards  Local Offroad Parks  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
CHECK OUT OUR NEW ONLINE STORE UNDER THE "MERCHANDISE" LINK AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!
Like us on Facebook!

Add to Favorites

Latest topics
» Any one on here ?
8th March 2015, 4:57 pm by Jason y

» Trail Rated lol
11th November 2013, 2:40 am by Legg

11th November 2013, 2:34 am by Legg

» 38.5x15x15 bogger 200.00
13th July 2013, 11:07 am by 72Blazerracer

» Slower-poke Build. 98 ZJ 5.9 Limited
2nd July 2013, 3:01 pm by gs69350

» FREE T-SHIRT
15th April 2013, 1:07 pm by gs69350

» My Solid Axle Swap build
7th April 2013, 8:18 pm by fishforlife2007

» stripping an xj lol
7th April 2013, 8:04 pm by fishforlife2007

» LJOC's Guns N Jeeps Meet
7th April 2013, 3:22 pm by ZJ_flexxxer

» Black Betty, my 95 YJ Build thread
2nd April 2013, 9:48 pm by ZJ_flexxxer

Top posting users this month
Your ad here!

Share | 

ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   21st April 2012, 1:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

so i know i've kinda disappeared for a lil while. but i've just been super busy with work and my new toy.

i wound up giving a $1000 for this little comanche. it's a great lil truck. i've already took it on 2 pretty long trips across the state so i know it's dependable. but that should be obvious, it's a jeep! lol

so anyway i'll get started with my plans for this truck. it's going to be my daily driver so i don't wanna go too crazy with modifications but i can't help but customize everything i own at least a little bit. so my plans for this are to give it a pre-runner look. i wanna lift it a small amount and put a pre-runner style bumper on the front. i also wanna swap to the newer 97-01 front end/grill/lights/etc.

so now onto what i've done so far

my starting point: so here's what she looked like when i bought her.

so first thing i did was fix the tail lights and some other minor crap

then it was off to PAP to see what i could find. to my surprise i actually found 3 comanches. i found a bench seat in good shape so i snatched it since mine was shredded all to pieces and i was almost sitting in the floor when driving it.

installed

then grabbed a back bumper to replace my bent and abused excuse for a rear bumper

before

new bumper wire wheeled, 1 coat of truck bed liner, 1 coat of gloss black

installed

also grabbed a woodgrain dash panel out of an xj. as soon as i seen it i just had to have it

and one of my favorite chores on the list was getting some new exhaust pipe welded in. believe me when i say this thing was LOUD the night i brought it home. now she purrs like a kitten, all except for my squealing belt. the pulley on my p/s pump is nicked up for some reason and causing the belt to squeal.

new exhaust

i swapped to an old steering wheel i had saved from my old xj

i got a headliner from a junkyard and re-covered it in camo material

and i picked up a set of xj wheels and swapped my tires on them(old wheels are for sale by the way)

last night i also put a new power steering pump on it. i'm really loving this little truck so far.

AuthorMessage
Dadinator

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   2nd October 2012, 11:48 am

I have the corner lights for the front of your manche.
If you need a set I could make you a deal...
Smile

2008 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT

2010 Focus SES 2dr

Wifes:
97 TJ 2.5 4X4 5sp 31's stock. . . Slow but reliable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   2nd October 2012, 3:04 pm

i'm not really worried about them since i'm switching over to the 97+ front end. thanks though

ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   5th November 2012, 1:26 am

well if you guys wonder what's been going on with the mj lately here it is.

a few weeks back i was driving and then felt some type of fluid dripping on my foot from off the firewall while driving. so i pulled over and checked it and couldn't find anything except for a watery oily substance all over everything underneath my hood and i mean literally everything. it was soaked. so i get it home and continue to check it out and then with the help of a buddy we come to the conclusion that it must be a blown head gasket. everything below the head on my block seemed to be very wet and greasy.

so we tear it down and get the head off to find a head gasket that isn't blown except for between 2 cylinders (which of course isn't causing my mysterious leak). but the head on the #2 cylinder is black as coal with carbon build up from what looks like no fire from the plug and possibly a stuck valve, weak spring, or something of that nature. so i send the head off for pressure testing, a little valve work, a broken manifold bolt, and a little milling banana

while in this process we also find that the previous owner didn't take the time to even install an exhaust gasket. and also that there was a small tear in one of my heater core hoses (my mysterious leak).

so today i bought all new gaskets, air filter, pcv, ngk plugs, heater core hose, antifreeze, and probably more i'm forgetting and started putting her back together. i was really busy so only snapped this one pic of the head bolted back on the block and torqued down at 110 ft lbs. i managed to get it all the way back together and ready for a test drive but then found i somehow managed to crack my thermostat housing while putting everything back together (i believe i had the thermostat a little crooked when i put it on and it bent the housing). so it's off to the junkyard tomorrow for that and hopefully she'll be back on the road.

gs69350

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   5th November 2012, 8:18 am

Its missing 2 cylinders. Did you know that a lot of iron engines did not come with exhaust gaskets from the factory, true story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   5th November 2012, 11:53 am

gs69350 wrote:
Its missing 2 cylinders. Did you know that a lot of iron engines did not come with exhaust gaskets from the factory, true story.

hmm...sounds like some weird crap AMC would probably do lol. its got one now haha

K-SKI

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   5th November 2012, 8:30 pm

hey its a jeep thing

My Jeep Build
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   20th November 2012, 10:54 pm

so i got antique tags for the mj since it's an 87

and i welded on some new shock mounts(the proper shock mounts). pics of the actual mounts tomorrow hopefully

ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   30th December 2012, 8:10 pm

well i got bored today and decided to fab up a dual steering stabilizer. i've always thought this truck could use one after the lift it felt unstable on bumps in the road. so started out with two peices of angle iron, i basically just laid them opposite of each other and held the stabilizer end between them to get the right width and then tacked them together.

then i ran a bead down each side

then i cut it down to size

after that i did a little grinding and smoothing and then welded it into place in front of the coil spring plate almost identical to the opposite side and at a slight outward angle to reach the tie rod

then i made some tabs to mount the stabilizer to the tie rod and welded those on

and here's how it came out

then a fresh coat of paint! and that's a job well done if i don't say so myself beer

Dadinator

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   31st December 2012, 12:36 am

Looks good. You weld like I do. Smile

2 things...
Is your tie rod bent or is it the pic?
Did your mod help your problem?

2008 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT

2010 Focus SES 2dr

Wifes:
97 TJ 2.5 4X4 5sp 31's stock. . . Slow but reliable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   31st December 2012, 1:05 pm

Dadinator wrote:
Looks good. You weld like I do. Smile

2 things...
Is your tie rod bent or is it the pic?
Did your mod help your problem?

It's not exactly bent but it's not straight either. It's a wj tie rod I used with the wj knuckles and calipers by it was too long to work so I shortened it and welded it back together, when I welded it back I didn't get it exactly true. Yes yes I know it's not very safe, but it's held for months now and I'm pretty confident in it.

An yes it helped it out quite a bit

ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   24th March 2013, 11:24 pm

been a while since i've done an update. haven't really had time or decent enough weather to mess with my jeeps without a garage but here's what's coming up for the future. i bought this donor xj that i'm using the motor, dash, heat/ac, etc swap into the mj. should be sweet if i can ever get it done

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   

Back to top Go down

ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
502OFFROAD.COM :: Technical :: Build Threads-
Jump to: