GETTIN' DIRTY IN THE 'VILLE

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist    Merchandise  Local Junkyards  Local Offroad Parks  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
CHECK OUT OUR NEW ONLINE STORE UNDER THE "MERCHANDISE" LINK AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!
Like us on Facebook!

Add to Favorites

Latest topics
» Any one on here ?
8th March 2015, 4:57 pm by Jason y

» Trail Rated lol
11th November 2013, 2:40 am by Legg

11th November 2013, 2:34 am by Legg

» 38.5x15x15 bogger 200.00
13th July 2013, 11:07 am by 72Blazerracer

» Slower-poke Build. 98 ZJ 5.9 Limited
2nd July 2013, 3:01 pm by gs69350

» FREE T-SHIRT
15th April 2013, 1:07 pm by gs69350

» My Solid Axle Swap build
7th April 2013, 8:18 pm by fishforlife2007

» stripping an xj lol
7th April 2013, 8:04 pm by fishforlife2007

» LJOC's Guns N Jeeps Meet
7th April 2013, 3:22 pm by ZJ_flexxxer

» Black Betty, my 95 YJ Build thread
2nd April 2013, 9:48 pm by ZJ_flexxxer

Top posting users this month
Your ad here!

Share | 

ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   21st April 2012, 1:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

so i know i've kinda disappeared for a lil while. but i've just been super busy with work and my new toy.

i wound up giving a $1000 for this little comanche. it's a great lil truck. i've already took it on 2 pretty long trips across the state so i know it's dependable. but that should be obvious, it's a jeep! lol

so anyway i'll get started with my plans for this truck. it's going to be my daily driver so i don't wanna go too crazy with modifications but i can't help but customize everything i own at least a little bit. so my plans for this are to give it a pre-runner look. i wanna lift it a small amount and put a pre-runner style bumper on the front. i also wanna swap to the newer 97-01 front end/grill/lights/etc.

so now onto what i've done so far

my starting point: so here's what she looked like when i bought her.

so first thing i did was fix the tail lights and some other minor crap

then it was off to PAP to see what i could find. to my surprise i actually found 3 comanches. i found a bench seat in good shape so i snatched it since mine was shredded all to pieces and i was almost sitting in the floor when driving it.

installed

then grabbed a back bumper to replace my bent and abused excuse for a rear bumper

before

new bumper wire wheeled, 1 coat of truck bed liner, 1 coat of gloss black

installed

also grabbed a woodgrain dash panel out of an xj. as soon as i seen it i just had to have it

and one of my favorite chores on the list was getting some new exhaust pipe welded in. believe me when i say this thing was LOUD the night i brought it home. now she purrs like a kitten, all except for my squealing belt. the pulley on my p/s pump is nicked up for some reason and causing the belt to squeal.

new exhaust

i swapped to an old steering wheel i had saved from my old xj

i got a headliner from a junkyard and re-covered it in camo material

and i picked up a set of xj wheels and swapped my tires on them(old wheels are for sale by the way)

last night i also put a new power steering pump on it. i'm really loving this little truck so far.

AuthorMessage
gs69350

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   13th August 2012, 8:47 pm

It was more about the "where" than the "how". Smile

Although I have a garage, I don't want to be a meal for all the spiders in there, and I don't have a jack or stands :p

We'll do K-Ski's lift at the same time lol... Party at Flexxxer's!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   14th August 2012, 7:29 am

Lol I don't even have a garage. All my work gets done in the driveway. I have air tools but not a very strong compressor lol. I really just get it all done with determination haha.

ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   15th August 2012, 12:19 am

nice little update for today...

so i noticed today, one of the lower control arm mounts somehow got bent either at the JY or in the process of getting it home. so i'll have to get that fixed. bang head

got some more old parts removed including the knuckles and axles/hubs.(not very good pics, i worked late tonight)

i also picked up some new cv axles

so today i came up with a little plan to make my sway bar links disconnect if i want. i used a speed bit to make my bolt holes a little larger

and i picked up some 3 point tractor pins from TSC. worked out pretty nice i think

gs69350

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   15th August 2012, 9:51 am

Oh crap. Good luck with that lower control arm mount. You gonna replace it or try and straighten it out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   15th August 2012, 2:20 pm

Gonna cut one off the old axle and weld it on. I tried straightening that one for a min and said the hell with it. Easier to just cut it off and start fresh.

ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   19th August 2012, 8:24 pm

made it to the JY today and got a set of wj knuckles and calipers. didn't have any luck finding a set of the '02-up akebono calipers but oh well, still better than the stock single piston's.

and i also ordered some drilled/slotted wj rotors and ceramic pads

that's it for now. waiting on money for more parts lol

ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   24th August 2012, 2:43 pm

got some progress done on the mj

got the control arms on, upper control arm bushings in the axle, axle in truck, shocks on, wj knuckles on, coils in, and some other stuff.

still waiting on my sway bar links to come in(even though i'm not sure if they're gonna work)and some jks spacers for the knuckles.

pics...

oh and i accidently got my pinky finger with the hammer in the midst of it all

ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   26th August 2012, 11:01 am

ok so my sway bar links came in the mail yesterday. first thing i did was remove the bushing sleeves from the lower bushings.

then i test fitted them. and they fit perfect on the tractor pins. popped the clips on there and now i've got quick disco's should i ever need them. and for only about $26.

oh and i forgot, my wj drilled/slotted rotors and pads got here. rotors look sweeeet! now i just have to drill the 5x4.5 pattern in them.

gs69350

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   26th August 2012, 12:31 pm

Looks like fun!!!

Hey, by any chance do you have any extra spring spacers lying around? (1-2" BB lift)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   26th August 2012, 12:38 pm

i sure don't man. i know where 2 are at the front of an xj in ISA if it's still there. but you would need 2 more. u find a new job yet? looks like i'll be job seeking again since i basically got fired for doing the right thing last week.

gs69350

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   26th August 2012, 12:44 pm

Ya, I got my written job offer a couple days ago, don't start until the 4th. Nothing glamorous, I'll be working in a busy doctor office for U of L Physicians group. Kinda the opposite from a car lot, lol

I bet you'll find a job pretty quick, its obvious from your posts that you have some skillz.

How much do you think those spacers would cost at ISA? You going there anytime soon?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   26th August 2012, 12:51 pm

yea you would think a place like kentucky trailer would hire me. i mean i can weld, i can operate a drill and about any other damn tool but they freakin turned me down after i had an interview and everything. i couldn't believe it. so i guess i'll just keep applying places and hopefully something comes up soon or my jeep projects might go on hold lol.

i'm not sure how much they would charge for those though. i been meaning to try and grab them up if i had the chance but haven't had time lately. i knew someone could use them, i noticed it had adjustable lower control arms on the front too. those would be good for either you or k-ski as well. i'm sure you could get them for under $20 and that's $150 worth of parts easily

K-SKI

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   26th August 2012, 1:31 pm

Where is isa I've heard about it but never found it

My Jeep Build
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   26th August 2012, 1:41 pm

it's on grade lane. right across from grade a scrapyard and stooges bar

ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   26th August 2012, 5:05 pm

needed a break from the heat so i'll go ahead and do another update today.

tightened down the wj knuckles, and i picked up a set of these wobble extensions from harbor freight for about $10 and this sucker worked awesome for the upper ball joint nut.

i also decided to go with the crossover steering setup the wj knuckles use. picked up this wj tie rod but of course it's much to wide for a xj or even a zj setup. even adjusting the ends all the way in, it was still to wide.

so my first instinct was to try some shorter ends off another vehicle. i went to o'reillys, auto zone, and advance to try and cross reference something but none of them were any help due to out of stock parts or just pure ignorance. so i returned home a little discouraged and then even to realize that had i found shorter ends that it still wouldn't have worked due to the bends in the wj ends. without these bends the tie rod will hit the diff cover when the steering wheel is turned all the way.

so after a few seconds of looking at it and pondering i then of course came to my senses and cut the damn thing in half and cut about 3" out of it.

threw some of my not so great looking welds on there.

and ta-da! this would also be a pretty great upgrade for anyone wanting to beef up there tie rod since these wj tie rods are alot beefier than the cheesy xj/mj/zj stockers.

so this is for the douche at auto zone that told me it would never work.

gs69350

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   27th August 2012, 9:24 am

TBH, that is one part I wouldn't have cut and welded like that. It will be a bad day if that weld breaks while driving or wheeling. You should have cut it at the end and re tapped it.

Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   27th August 2012, 1:23 pm

i somewhat agree but the ends taper down to a smaller diameter so there's no way to cut and re tap. so this was pretty much my only choice but i tried to bend it or break it before i put it back on and it was strong so i trust it.

and i won't be wheeling this thing so no concerns with it having to put up to abuse, though if i were i would have found some smaller tubing or maybe re-bar to put in the middle of it and beefed it up.

ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   29th August 2012, 12:10 am

well i finally got the jks flange spacers i've been waiting on.

spacers in place with the cv's and hubs installed

and here's 2 pics of the three 12 point bolts that hold the hubs on

looking a little closer to a truck again

and here's some pics of the track bar on with a new end i bought this morning

planning on drilling the rotors tomorrow and getting the brakes put on

almost forgot, i'm picking up this xj for $500 as a donor vehicle for some parts on friday

K-SKI

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   29th August 2012, 12:32 am

You don't happen to have a cut off wheel do you? If you do would you mind and stopped by to finish trimming my fenders I don't have the pre 97 fenders and I just need the little triangle in the front cut off on each side. I took off my front bumper and it looks really strange with that metal just hanging there

My Jeep Build
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   29th August 2012, 9:47 am

sure man i have some cutting wheels and a borrowed grinder haha. just let me know when your coming.

ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   30th August 2012, 1:17 am

I began looking at my steering setup and I'm not able to run the stock drag link. Since the wj knuckles use the seperate tab and it's about 3 to 4 inches closer to the driver side it makes the stock mj drag link too long to use. I could turn it fine to the right but not all the way to the left. So tomorrow I'll make a trip to the junkyard for a wj draglink. But as far as I could tell everything looks like it should work without any interference. Should be able to find out tomorrow once I get the drag link and wheels/tires back on it.

Today I drilled out my rotors. I started by lining up my old rotor on top of the new one and tracing out the bolt pattern with a sharpie marker.

Then I used a small punch and hammer to put a little divot in the center of my marks. Then used a decent size drill bit to get a hole started and finally moved up to the step bit to finish it off. Spent a few hours with my drill and this bit today, and I can honestly say I don't want to have to pick up a another drill again for a while.

And here's the end result. I think it looks pretty sexy on there

ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   30th August 2012, 7:19 pm

so after finding out that wj drag links are the same length and wouldn't work for this application i decided to yet again get the grinder out. chopped the drag link in half and took about 3" out of it.

i used the old peice from the wj tie rod to sleeve it with. slid it on there then welded up the center of the drag link. then slid the piece of tubing over and welded it.

then i noticed that the nut on the drag link was hitting the tractor pins i used for disconnects.

i grabbed the grinder and gave it a little buzz and now the knuckle goes all the way over to the stop.

i still have to grab a new end to go on the drag link since the ball joint is bad and some brake lines. but here she is parked out on the street so i could pick up my mess in the driveway

ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   28th September 2012, 2:47 am

been meaning to post this pic but haven't got around to it. here's the comanche pulling what's left of the donor xj into the scrapyard. 3300lbs not including the weight of the trailer! i love this little truck

Dadinator

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   28th September 2012, 9:10 am

YOu going to replace the drivers door to match the passenger?

FYI...
There is a good supply of XJ's and 3 MJ's in the JY called 135 auto just south of Corydon, IN.
(If you need anything)

If I currently had a job, I'd have bought the doors off your XJ. Would like to upgrade mine.

Later.

2008 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT

2010 Focus SES 2dr

Wifes:
97 TJ 2.5 4X4 5sp 31's stock. . . Slow but reliable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZJ_flexxxer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   28th September 2012, 11:24 pm

i already have the other door to do it, but i've just kinda been busy with other stuff and i'm waiting until i wire up the passenger side and get it all figured out before i do the driver side. otherwise i wouldn't be able to put any windows down and this truck of course has no a/c, which isn't so much of an issue now but it was miserably hot this summer.

i've been wanting to check out that 135 jy, mainly just interested in their mj stuff. xj's are plentiful in the jy's around here.

i understand, i'm not working at the moment either. if you get some spare cash and are still interested i do still have the passenger side door from the xj, just have to find you a driver door.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build   

Back to top Go down

ZJ_flexxxer's jeep comanche build
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
502OFFROAD.COM :: Technical :: Build Threads-
Jump to: